Tuesday, July 16, 2019




Swami Adhbhudhanandha  - Sri Latu Maharaj

Pranams at the lotus feet of Latu Maharaj!

Chapter – 20

In the year 1897 Swami Vivekananda returned from America, all the disciples of Thakurji met him, but Latu Maharaj did not make it.  He thought ‘ I am just an ordinary person with no knowledge of reading or writing, he is returned from a foreign land, he had become reputed person now, did he recognize me?”  But Swami Vivekanand was remembered Latu Maharaj, he did not forget him.  One day Swami Vivekananda arrived to meet Latu Maharaj and embraced him and said “ Latu Bhai, I am your same old Naren. Come with me to Mutt.”  Latu Maharaj came to stay in Belur Mutt, but he was not finding peace here, there were strict disciplines were introduced; all the disciples should get up early in the morning at 3’ o clock.  One day, Latu Maharaj packed his bags and started leaving, Swami Vivekananda asked “ Where are you going? Why are you leaving?” Latu Maharaj said “ Kolkatta.  You have come from a foreign land, you are introducing new rules, I cannot follow them fully, I am not used to it.  I cannot make my mind force to contemplate upon the Lord at the sound of the bell.”  Swami Vivekanand said, “ Then leave”.  Later, Swami Vivekananda rushed to Latu Maharaj and said, “ You come with me, you need not follow any rules, these rules are for people who are newly arrived in the Mutt.”  None of the rules were applicable to Latu Maharaj, he felt awkward living in the Mutt without following its rules.  He was a righteous person, he equally respected all the religions and its festivities, he celebrates Eid, Christmas and all the Hindu festivals with an open heart.