Tuesday, September 24, 2019




The Life of Lord Buddha

Pranams at the lotus feet of Lord Buddha!

Chapter – 25

Once five Sakhyan princes of Kapilavasthu, Prince Baddhiya, Prince Anurudhdha, Prince Ananda, Prince Bhagu, and Prince Kimbila, along with Koliyan Prince Devadatta, and a Barber named Upali, approached Buddha and requested to ordain as Monks.  Buddha instantly gave permission to ordain Upali, and followed by the princes respectively. Soon after their ordination, these monks attained Arahanthship with their dedicated practices and meditation.  The venerable Ananda under the guidance of venerable Punnamantaniputta attained the highest of the spiritual knowledge.  The venerable Devadatta attained various psychic powers considered as mundane.  Devadatta thought ‘I am from the royal clan, why the monks receiving a lot of respect and honor from ordinary people, why not me? Prince Ajathasathru who is the son of King Bimbisara of Rajagaha is young and does not know the difference between right and wrong, I can display all my supernatural powers to gain his devotion and respect.  So that I can achieve whatever I want through the young prince.”


One night Devadatta entered the chamber of Ajathasathru who got frightened to see him in the darkness.  He addressed Ajathashathru, as if he knows him for years, Ajathashathru was completely overwhelmed.  Devadatta asked him to be calm and quiet; introduced himself to Ajathashathru and said: “I am here to help you, and let you know when the time comes.” After saying so, Devadatta disappeared from his sight in the Veluvana Monastery, Rajagaha city.   Devadatta thought ‘ I have played my supernatural powers on prince Ajathashathru, now onwards, the prince will provide whatever I ask.  Soon I can be the leader of Sangha.”


One day Devadatta approached Buddha and said “Lord, you are getting very old, it is the time to share your responsibilities with me, I am willing to take up the burden of leading the Sangha.  Please announce the same to the entire Monk.  I can take over your teaching responsibilities.”  The disciples, monks and Buddha were surprised to witness the rude behavior of Devadatta.  Buddha said “Absolutely not. Devadatta. I am not tired of teaching Dharma; I am not tired of leading the people to the path of Dharma.”  Devadatta felt humiliated before a large number of disciples and left in a rage.  Eventually, the disciples and monks of the hermitage started showing little interest in Devadatta. It irked the pride and ego of Devadatta who decided to bring destruction to his preceptor.