Wednesday, September 18, 2019




The life of Lord Buddha

Pranams at the lotus feet of Lord Buddha!

Chapter – 12


Once, an elderly ruler of the town Veranja visited Buddha.  This was an ancient town where Buddha resided during the rainy season at the invitation of a Brahmin.   The ruler heard about the greatness of Buddha who has received enlightenment, hence he came to have a discussion of Dharma with him.  He stood before Buddha but was received with no gesture of respect as Veranja Brahmin was expected.  Veranja Brahmin expected Buddha would raise from his seat and welcome him, or invite him to take seat with him.   The Brahmin felt  Buddha is insulting him by not giving any respect.  Buddha began to speak “ Oh! Veranja Brahmin I did not find anyone superior in Dharma to offer a gesture of respect or stand up to welcome them or offer seat next to me.”  The Brahmin felt the response of Buddha as tasteless, his practices are unimpressive.  Buddha explained himself being tasteless “ I have abandoned the sensual pleasures or the pleasures of any form, smell, taste, and sound.”  The Brahmin said “ You have no wealth of your own. You are not performing Karma. You are loathsome.” Buddha replied “ Venerable Brahmin, I have no assets which form bondage.  I preach non-violence, no sins by words, deeds or action.  I praise the annihilation of lust, desire, ego, hatred, jealousy and delusion.  The definition of loathsome is bodily misconduct, verbal and mental misconduct.  Therefore I loathe the evilness and deceitfulness.”  Brahmin said ‘You teach eradication, destruction, non-birth.”  Buddha replied “ Brahmin, I teach Dharma, for the eradication of lust, hatred, and delusion, I teach people the destruction of bodily misconduct, verbal and mental misconduct.  I have abandoned all those causes of re-birth, I speak truth to your comments, may not be easily understandable, finding fault in others  is the cause for suffering, concentrate your mind in developing virtues,  Nirodha is the end of sufferings.”  The Brahmin prostrated before Buddha, leaving his all miss-conceptions and ignorance.